I am a science writer, editor and programmer in Cambridge, MA. Currently: Head of Media at New Science.
I’m always looking for essay ideas that would benefit young scientists, or expose them to new ways of thinking.
I write Codon, a newsletter about synthetic biology, CRISPR and biotechnology. My work has appeared in Retraction Watch, Scientific American, Forbes, The Counter and elsewhere. Prior to journalism, I was a scientist for 7 years. I’ve developed CRISPR tools and have studied the link between diabetes and heart failure. I worked at the Simons Foundation for one year, where I was the data journalist at Spectrum.
- M.A. in Science, Health and Environmental Reporting | New York University
- M.S. in Bioengineering | California Institute of Technology
- MRes in Systems and Synthetic Biology | Imperial College London (Fulbright Scholar)
- B.S. in Biochemistry | University of Iowa
Published Science // Google Scholar:
- Ireland WT, Beeler SM, Flores-Bautista E, McCarty NS, Röschinger T, Belliveau NM, Sweredowski MJ, Moradian A, Kinney JB, Phillips R. “Deciphering the regulatory genome of Escherichia coli, one hundred promoters at a time.” eLife (2020). Read
- McCarty NS, Graham AE, Studena L and Ledesma-Amaro R. “Multiplexed CRISPR technologies for gene editing and transcriptional regulation.” Nature Communications (2020). Read
- Riehle C, Weatherford ET, Wende AR, Jaishy BP, Seei AW, McCarty NS, Rech M, Shi Q, Reddy GR, Kutschke WJ, Oliveira K, Pires KM, Anderson JC, Diakos NA, Weiss RM, White MF, Drakos SG, Xiang YK and Abel ED. “Insulin Receptor Substrates Differentially Exacerbate Insulin-Mediated Left Ventricular Remodeling.” JCI Insight (2020). Read
- McCarty NS, Shaw WM, Ellis T and Ledesma-Amaro R. “Rapid Assembly of gRNA Arrays via Modular Cloning in Yeast.” ACS Synthetic Biology (2019). Plasmids on Addgene. Read
- McCarty NS and Ledesma-Amaro R. “Synthetic Biology Tools to Engineer Microbial Consortia for Biotechnology.” Trends in Biotechnology (2019). Read
- Riehle C, Scharf GM, Sieweke JT, Zauner F, Flierl U, Treptau J, Zormpas C, Senf J, McCarty NS, Bauersachs J, Sedding DG and Westhoff-Bleck M. “Leukocytoclastic Vasculitis Associated with Endocarditis in a Patient with Transposition of the Great Arteries and Mechanical Valve Replacement.” Cardiovascular Pathology (2017). Read
- McCarty NS, Razo-Mejia M and Phillips R. “Genetic Barcodes Enable Quantitative Mapping of Operator Mutants to Gene Expression” Biophysical Journal (2020). Abstract for the Biophysical Society meeting, San Diego, CA. Read
- Beal J, et al. “Comparative analysis of three studies measuring fluorescence from engineered bacterial genetic constructs (2021), Interlab contributor. PLOS ONE. Read